Map/Directions
Presbytery of Long Island
PCUSA
PC Historical Society
Bread for the World
 Church History 
The Church's heritage dates back to 1675 when the first meeting house was built near the mouth of the Nissequogue River. The exact location is not known, but it was near the junction of River and Moriches Roads. A monument marks the approximate location. The land and the expense of the building were a gift from the children of Richard Smith, founder of Smithtown. By 1750 the population center of the Town shifted and the original building was relocated on the property of the present Church, land donated by Obidiah and Epenetus Smith. The preacher at that time (1751-1755) was the Reverend Napthali Daggett. He became a professor at Yale College, where he subsequently became its sixth president. During the Revolutionary War the pastor was the Rev. Joshua Hartt. He was fired on by British soldiers while preaching in the pulpit and eventually imprisoned by them in New York City because of his inflammatory sermons. The Church was officially incorporated in New York State on April 29, 1794 and the first trustees elected.
In April of 1823, the Congregation voted to construct a new building, the Trustees having $1410 for that purpose. The Church records tell that, On the 26th of April 1823 A.D., an agreement was made between the Trustees and one George Curtiss, to build a new House of Worship of Almighty God. On September 9, 1827 the Reverend Ithamar Pillsbury officiated at the dedication of the Presbyterian Meeting House. The Narthex was added in 1898, providing space for Sunday School, meetings and social gatherings. The organ was installed in 1909. The Church was electrified in 1916. The Parish Hall was added in 1950. In 1963 the Christian Education wing was dedicated. The most recent addition of offices was completed in 1975. On December 23, 1977 the Church was included in the National Register of Historic Places. Commemorative plaques are located in the vestibule behind the pulpit and beneath the bell tower in the balcony. Historic documents, pictures and a roster of ministers are displayed in the Narthex.
Download "Church and Community"
"Church and Community" is the history of the church written in 1975, commemorating the church's 300th anniversary, written by J. Richard Mehalick, church historian. This Second Edition includes the church's history from 1975 - 2000, written by Rev. William H. Edwards III, Pastor Emeritus.
"On the corner of the love of God, and the love of neighbor."


First Presbyterian Church of Smithtown
175 East Main Street
Smithtown, New York 11787
Phone: 631-265-5151
Email: fpcs@optonline.net